Official State of Nebraska Web Site


Right of Way

ROW Home

Relocation Appeal Forms

Property for Sale/Rent/Lease

Permit Applications

On-Line Documents & Publications

ROW Design Files
& Design Consulting Info

Acquisition Consultants RFP's

Program Areas

ROW Design Engineering


Relocation Assistance

Property Management

Highway Beautification

Local Public Agencies


Regular Acrobat Reader Download
Help with PDF's for those with visual disabilities


Relocation Assistance

Contact the Webmaster
Text Only

Approved Relocation Consultant List
Residential Moving Cost Schedule
Documentos en Español


  • Makes preliminary studies to formulate plans to provide for the orderly and humane relocation of families and businesses for environmental assessment purposes.

  • Prepares relocation assistance studies to determine eligibility for and amount of relocation assistance payments.

  • Provides advisory services to those displaced by our highway projects that need such services.

  • Monitors the relocation assistance activities of and provides technical assistance to local public agencies.


The Relocation Assistance program is an entitlement program that assists Nebraska residents in relocating their primary residence, business, farm, or non-profit organization when they are required to move to make way for a highway construction project.

The Relocation Assistance program consists of two basic parts: Advisory Service and Financial Assistance. Every person being displaced is eligible to receive advisory service in relocating to a replacement dwelling or non-residential location. When certain eligibility requirements are met, displaced persons are also entitled to financial assistance in relocating their personal property and for the increased costs of buying or renting a replacement dwelling.

These services and benefits are in addition to compensation received by the property owner for the acquisition of real property or real property rights. These services and benefits are also for tenants of real estate that must move for a highway construction project.

The Relocation Section maintains an Approved Relocation Consultant List for those firms retained by the Department to provide relocation services on those tracts not assigned to our staff ROW Agents.

Relocation Assistance Appeal Forms
First Stage Appeal Word-Fill-In Format PDF Format
Second Stage Appeal Word-Fill-In Format PDF Format

Relocation Assistance as Administered by the Nebraska Department of Roads

Personal Property Only Moves

NAC Title 410, Chapter 5 - Relocation Assistance

Documentos en Español

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS -- Please contact the Right of Way Division Pagemaster if you have other questions

Will I have to move as a result of the Department’s project?

It depends on the impact a project has on the property you currently occupy. A Department agent will answer any questions you have and provide relocation assistance to you. Additionally, if you are displaced by a Department project you will receive notification in writing.

Where will I move to?

If you are required to move, the Department will assist you in locating and acquiring or renting a comparable replacement residential dwelling. However, you may select the new location and dwelling of your choice.

How long will I have in which to move?

You will be provided plenty of time to move. The Department must provide you with a minimum of ninety days advance notice after a replacement dwelling has been made available, before you can be required to move.

Will I be reimbursed for expenses I incur?

Yes, you will be reimbursed for the actual, reasonable, and necessary costs incurred for moving your personal property to a new location. You will also receive reimbursement for certain expenses that are necessary to purchase or rent and occupy a replacement residential dwelling.

What happens if I own or rent a non residential property and must move?

You will also be provided plenty of time to move. The Department must provide you with a minimum of ninety days advance notice before you can be required to move.

Owners or tenants are eligible for payments designed to reimburse them for:

  • Their costs in moving personal property.
  • Their time in searching for a new location.
  • Actual loss of tangible personal property.
  • Their expenses in reestablishing at a new site.


  • They can take a fixed payment in lieu of the other mentioned relocation benefits. This payment is between $1,000 and $20,000, based on the net earnings of the business or farm.

Will someone be available to answer my questions?

Yes. The Department places as much importance on providing advisory services as it does reimbursing incurred expenses. You will be provided with an agent’s name and telephone number who will be available to assist you throughout the moving process.


return to top of page